|Length:||68' 5"||20.85 M|
|Height:||21' 2.5"||6.46 M|
|Wingspan:||38' 1.5"||11.62 M|
|Wingarea:||661.50 Sq Ft||61.45 Sq M|
|Empty Weight:||19050.0 lbs||8639.00 Kg|
|Gross Weight:||31500.0 lbs||14285.0 Kg|
|No. of Engines:||1|
|Powerplant:||Pratt & Whitney J57-P-25|
|Range:||1000 miles||1610.00 Km|
|Cruise Speed:||600.00 mph||966.00 Km/H||522.16 Kt|
|Max Speed:||825.00 Mph||1328.00 Km/H||717.84 Kt|
|Climb:||13000.0 Ft/min||3962.21 M/min|
|Ceiling:||54000.0 Ft||16458.0 M|
The F-102 Delta Dagger was the first operational Mach 1 capable supersonic, all-weather interceptor in the United States Air Force. Manufactured by the Convair division of General Dynamics in San Diego, California its signature wasp-waisted delta-wing design found its inspiration in technology developed by German scientists during the Second World War. Entering duty in April 1956, during the height of the Cold War, the F-102's high-altitude and high-speed capabilities provided an effective solution to the threat poised by the massive Soviet bomber force.
The F-102 used an internal weapons bay to carry up to six AIM-4 infa-red or radar guided missiles and rockets. Delta Daggers, more commonly known as "Deuces", saw limited operational use in Southeast Asia from March 1962 to December 1969 in its primary role as an air defense interceptor and in an additional mission as an escort fighter for B-52 Stratofortress bombers. A single F-102 was lost to a North Vietnamese MiG-21 in air-to-air combat; fourteen others were lost to a combination of ground fire and accidents.
Over 1,000 F-102s were accepted into the U.S. inventory, flying for two decades until their gradual replacement by the Mach 2 capable F-106 Delta Dart. Over 200 F-102s were subsequently converted for use as target drones (QF-102A or PQM-102A).
The museum's F-102A, serial number 56-1114, entered the active service in May 1957. It was stationed with the 52nd Fighter Group at Suffolk County AFB, NY, the 79th Fighter Group, Youngstow, OH and the 1st Fighter Group, Selfridge AFB, MI. In December 1960, the aircraft was transferred to the114th Fighter Group (ANG), Sioux Fall, SD and finally to the 114th Fighter Group (ANG), Fresno, CA. where it was retired in 1970 and moved into storage at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ.
In 1988, aircraft 56-1114 was mounted on a pedestal and placed on static display in front of the South West Air Division Operations Center at March AFB. In 1996, the aircraft was removed from the pedestal; by October 2000, the aircraft was restored for display at the MFAM. This aircraft is on loan from the USAF.
Former President, George W. Bush, was an F-102 pilot when he was in the Air National Guard. To recognize his service, the museum has placed the name "Lt George W. Bush" on the canopy frame of aircraft 56-1114.
Lt George W. Bush
- - - - - - - - - - - -
According to the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA/RSA), Maxwell AFB, AL, the museum's F-102A has the following history:
F-102A, s/n 56-1114
Manufactured by Convair, San Diego CA and delivered to the USAF on 8 May 1957.
May 1957 - To 52nd Fighter Group (Air Defense Command), Suffolk County AFB NY
May 1958 - To San Bernardino Air Materiel Area, Norton AFB CA
Sep 1958 - To 79th Fighter Group (ADC), Youngstown AP OH (deployments to Tyndall AFB FL and Selfridge AFB MI)
Jan 1960 - To 1st Fighter Group (ADC), Selfridge AFB (deployment to Tyndall AFB)
Oct 1960 - To Mobile Air Materiel Area, Brookley AFB AL
Dec 1960 - To 114th Fighter Group (Air National Guard), Joe Foss AP, Sioux Falls SD
Jan 1969 - To 144th Fighter Group (ANG), Fresno Air Terminal CA
May 1970 - To Military Aircraft Storage and Disposition Center, Davis-Monthan AFB AZ
May 1971 - Dropped from inventory as surplus