|Description (above picture taken 16 April 2002)|
|Manufacturer:||Curtiss Aircraft, Buffalo, NY|
|Designation:||P-6, (U.S. Navy F6C)|
|First Flew:||1929 (A model), 1932 (E model)|
|Specifications (below are for P-6E, not our actual aircraft)|
|Length:||23 ft 2 in|
|Height:||6 ft 10 in|
|Wing Span:||31 ft 6 in|
|Armament:||Two .30 cal machine guns|
|No. of Engines:||1|
|Powerplant:||Curtiss V-1570-23 Conquerer liquid-cooled in-line|
|Horsepower (each):||700 hp|
|Max Speed:||198 Mph||Km/H||Kt|
With its sleek lines and powerful 600 horsepower inline engine, the Curtiss P-6E fighter represents the pinnacle of 1930s era bi-plane design. In the midst of the Great Depression, budget constraints limited the United States Air Corps to only 46 of the trim fighters. Never used in combat, the aircraft holds the distinction of being the last bi-plane fighter intended for front line service ordered by the United States.
The only original P-6E still in existence is in the collection of the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. March Field Air Museums P-6E 32-240 is a 7/8 scale replica. March Fields P-6E appears in the Snow Owl livery of Captain Ross G. Hoyt, Commanding Officer of the 17th Pursuit Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, based at Selfridge Field, Mich. in 1933.
Powered by a Chevrolet V-8 engine P-6E 32-240 was constructed and flown by Donald Sauser, a former USMC pilot. Following his death, his wife presented the plane to the museum in 2002. This aircraft is owned by March Field Air Museum.